As the season winds down you may be taking inventory of your equipment and what may be needed for next year. One thing that almost all players use are a good pair of batting gloves, and the offseason is a good time to purchase a new pair of batting gloves.
It can be difficult when shopping to know what are the best batting gloves available, especially with so many options to choose from. Batting gloves sometimes have poor durability and it is quite possible that you may need another pair to start the new season. Thankfully, they are not too expensive so you should not be worried about buying a new pair to start off 2018. This article will give some options for the very best batting gloves that you can buy today.
Our Favorite Gloves
Why Should I Wear Batting Gloves?
Those who spend a lot of time at the ballpark will notice that the majority of players prefer to use batting gloves when stepping up to the plate. Although some still prefer to use their bare hands, these are few and far between. So what is the benefit of wearing batting gloves?
Firstly, the batting gloves are there to help you grip the bat better. One of the biggest factors in getting a powerful swing is wrist rotation, and you need to make sure that you have a tight grip on the bat if you want to get proper rotation. If your hands start to slip or the bat starts to slide, you will lose both control and power.
Batting gloves are also good for protection, to keep some of the sting out of your hands. This is usually more true for fastpitch, but the protection is still there. Many players prefer to wear batting gloves even on the basepaths so they can protect their hands when sliding into bases.
The last reason to wear batting gloves is actually on the defensive side of the ball. Many players prefer to wear a batting glove under their glove as they claim it feels better and makes the glove fit more snugly. I myself do it too, and I am quite pleased with the results. Whether it offers a competitive edge remains unclear, but a large part of baseball is mental and if this will improve your confidence, why not try it?
What Is Needed In A Pair Of Batting Gloves?
If you’re new to the game and haven’t previously considered buying a pair of batting gloves, you may want to give them a shot to see if they work for you. Here are 5 things that you should look for when searching for the best batting gloves:
- Comfort: look for something that feels good on your hands, just like if you’re trying on a pair of fashion gloves.
- High quality build: you’ll use these every game, so get something that is built well with good materials.
- Sticky grip: try to find something that offers some grip on the palm and fingers as this is the most important function of the batting gloves.
- Style: find something you like, these are an accessory and there’s no reason why they shouldn’t match your team colors!
- Waterproof: at some point during the season you’re liable to find yourself playing a game in less than ideal conditions; it would be good to have something that is water resistant or repellant.
Product Reviews - Which Is Right For You?
The next section will focus on 5 of the very best batting gloves for the 2018 season.
These Under Armour batting gloves are made to fit snugly without transforming your hands into a sweaty mess thanks to Under Armour’s HeatGear technology and perforations found on the palm side of fingers to increase airflow. Combine this with their genuine leather construction and contoured wrist closure, and these pair of batting gloves will be sure not to disappoint.
- Goatskin leather palm for increased comfort
- HeatGear on back of hand for wicking sweat, fast drying time, and added stretch
- Perforations on palm side of fingers for extra air ventilation
- Embossed synthetic overall for additional support, structure and grip while maintaining flexibility
- Contoured wrist closure to ensure best fit
- Black stain on gloves may come off on your hands during first few uses
Under Armour has once again hit the mark with their Men’s UA Clean Up Batting Gloves. Available in a wide variety of colour options, you’ll be sure to find gloves that are good to look at and great to play in.
Franklin incorporates the latest in batting glove technology in their Sports Neo Classic Series batting gloves to provide a playing experience that is second to none. These batting gloves emphasize flexibility and tactility through the integration of a 1-piece leather palm, quad flex creasing, floating thumb technology, and a neoprene bridge. Their sheepskin leather and pro-graded spandex add comfort and durability, and make these gloves truly feel like a second skin.
- Constructed of soft sheepskin leather for comfort and durability
- Pro-grade spandex to support hand flexibility
- 1-piece leather palm to maintain tactility between player and bat
- Quad-flex creasing reduces material buildup between hand and bat for superior grip
- Floating thumb technology for improved adaptability and flexibility
- Neoprene bridge spanning across knuckle back for added flexibility
- Tends to run large
Franklin has always been a strong contender in the batting glove market and this pair is no exception. These batting gloves are an excellent choice for those looking for gloves that provide maximum tactility, flexibility, and comfort.
These Easton HS3 Batting Gloves offer unparallelled comfort, flexibility, and grip - must haves for any batting glove. Their palms are made of goatskin to increase grip while Easton’s Zonal Flex, 4-way stretch technology, and neoprene wrist work together to provide added flexibility, comfort, and support.
- Palm constructed of supple goatskin for increased grip
- Zonal Flex and 4-way stretch mesh found on each knuckle and joint to improve flexibility and comfort
- Neoprene wrist for comfortable and breathable wrist support
- Durability is not great - you may find yourself having to buy a new pair next season
- Material, though light, feels a bit cheap and susceptible to rips and tears.
If you’re looking for excellent all-around batting gloves at a low price point, these gloves may be the ones for you. While they may not be as durable as their more expensive counterparts, if cost is an issue, their price is right.
These Rawlings Workhorse batting gloves work overtime to bring you outstanding durability and comfort. The Rawlings dynamic fit system provides you with a customized fit, and the Dura Plus palm pads offers additional comfort and protection resulting in a glove that works hard so you can play hard.
- Rawlings exclusive dynamic fit system for customized fit
- Oil-tac leather palm for increased durability - one of the best options to last you multiple seasons
- Rawlings Dura Plus palm pad for added comfort and protection
- Tends to fit small
- No wicking technology to eliminate sweat and moisture
The exclusive Rawlings technology found in these batting gloves in addition to the long lasting durability of the oil-tac leather palms make these gloves a hard pair to beat. Really, the only people that will be left disappointed by these batting gloves are the players with hands too big to fit into them.
Franklin delivers another home run with their Sports MLB CFX Pro batting gloves. These gloves, made from sheepskin with integrated floating thumb technology, offer flexibility and comfort like no other which allows for increased tactility between player and bat. Made for a wide range of players, both the recreational and more serious player will find a winner in these gloves.
- Made of soft and supple sheepskin leather for comfort in all conditions
- Leather palm allows for greater tactility with bat
- Floating thumb technology results in greater glove flexibility
- Inconsistent durability - some users have incredible longevity while others complain of rips after just one season
These Franklin Sports MLB batting gloves are an excellent addition to anyone’s baseball arsenal. If you are looking for a pair of gloves that will help you take your game to the next level, seriously consider giving these ones a try.
So Which Pair Of Gloves Is The Best Choice?
The Rawlings Workhorse gloves are my pick as they have shown incredible durability. My current pair has lasted 3 seasons now, still with no tears or rips. I may have to buy a pair for backup just in case.
Really though, you can’t go wrong with any of the options above - all are fine choices for the best batting gloves of 2018. Good luck in your search!
Last update on 2021-09-22 at 09:53 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API